Biscuits. Scrumptious Breakfast Recipes To Make Any Meal A Success With Kraft®, Try Today! Greg's Southern Biscuits "Light and fluffy, and the closest thing I've found to my grandmother's biscuits." – GregWmson. It's really all about the technique.
Ingredients include all-purpose flour, cubed butter and milk. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. You can cook Biscuits using 5 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Biscuits
- You need 2 1/4 cups of flour.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of very cold butter cut into cubes (I used vegan butter).
- You need 1/3 cup of milk if using softened vegan butter (3/4 cup if regular.
- It’s 3 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt (optional).
Using a box grater, grate butter over the flour. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or a fork, or two knives, until crumbly. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks.
- Pour the flour and baking powder into your KitchenAid with the Whisk attachment. Add the very cold butter and turn on the second setting and whisk until it turns into a coarse meal. You can use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour if you don't have a KitchenAid. If you don't have a pastry cutter, just use a whisk..
- Once the flour and butter have formed a course meal, add the salt, and start pouring in the milk a tablespoon at a time slowly until it forms a sticky thick dough..
- Drop onto parchment lined baking sheet about a quarter cup at a time. You should be able to form 6 to 8 biscuits.
- Bake in a 450 degree preheated oven for about 17 to 19 minutes. Or until golden brown. Brush the tops with melted butter and enjoy!.
The secret to excellent biscuits is COLD BUTTER. Many times the biscuit dough gets worked so much that the butter softens before the biscuits even go in the oven. You want to handle the dough as little as possible because we want that butter to stay cold. Biscuits are what take us into the kitchen today to cook: fat, flaky mounds of quick bread, golden brown, with a significant crumb Composed of flour, baking powder, fat and a liquid, then baked in a hot oven, they are an excellent sop for sorghum syrup, molasses or honey They are marvelous layered with country ham or smothered in white sausage gravy, with eggs, with grits Are biscuits better with butter or shortening? There are some recipes out there that call for shortening (like these fluffy biscuits), however, most call for butter.