Varan Bhaat. Varan bhaat would read as lentil-rice where varan stands for "lentil curry or stew or dal" and bhaat means "steamed rice". There are many variations of making varan bhaat. This recipe is a Maharashtrian recipe of making dal varan which was shared by my friend.
It also appears in the wedding menu as well. Varan bhaat is a vegan, Indian food preparation involving pigeon pea split beans and rice as its main ingredients. It belongs to Marathi and Goan cuisine. You can cook Varan Bhaat using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Varan Bhaat
- You need 3/4 cup of rice.
- It’s 3/4 cup of tur dal.
- It’s of as required Water.
- You need 1/2 tsp of asafoetida.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- You need 1 tsp of jaggery.
- It’s of as per taste Salt.
- You need 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- You need 1 tbsp of ghee.
- You need 1 tbsp of chopped coriander.
Its other ingredients are turmeric powder, cumin seeds, asafoetida, jaggery and salt. According to Sanjeev Kapoor, it is a part of a Goan wedding meal. Varan bhaat is a delicious no onion no garlic recipe and is a preparation in which toor dal and coconut based curry is made and served with steamed rice. Some people also love to have ghee with this authentic varan bhaat.
Varan Bhaat step by step
- Take rice in pressure cooker's one pot and tur dal in other pot wash and add 1&1/2-cup of water in tur dal add asafoetida and turmeric and little more water and salt in rice and cook them till 4 whistles on medium flame..
- When it is cooled remove from the cooker. Add salt and jaggery and mix well with hand blender and reheat add ghee and cook till starts boiling turn off gas and add lemon juice mix well and serve with Bhaat salad and sol kashi..
- Enjoy Varan Bhaat Maharashtrian cuisine staple food with salad and Sol Kadhi..
Varan Bhaat Recipe, Learn how to make Varan Bhaat (absolutely delicious recipe of Varan Bhaat ingredients and cooking method) A delicious toor dal preparation with a hint of coconut. Tempered with mustard seeds and curry leaves. This Varan Bhaat recipe is Excellent and find more Great recipes, tried & tested recipes from NDTV Food. Varan Bhaat is Maharashtrian Arhar Dal Chawal recipe as Varan means Dal and Bhaat means Chawal in Marathi. This is a simple yet delicious dal with a hint of coconut and jaggery.