Carrot and walnut cake (vegan). This vegan carrot cake recipe hits all of the right notes and is made with everyday ingredients. I can't tell you this cake is healthy, raw, or gluten-free, but I "Where's the [pineapple/raisins/walnuts]?", you might be asking. I don't really enjoy mix-ins in my carrot cake.
Well these guys taste pretty wholesome! With the walnuts and the orange zest and all that carrot goodness, these definitely give you that wholesome muffin vibe. Carrot cake is not complete without the cream cheese frosting, so of course, it's also topped with a rich layer of just that. You can cook Carrot and walnut cake (vegan) using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Carrot and walnut cake (vegan)
- You need 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need 1/2 cup of coconut sugar.
- It’s 1/2 cup of apple sauce.
- Prepare 1 cup of spelt flour.
- You need 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cloves.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cardamom.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 250 g of carrots, grated – usually 4-5 carrots but of course depends on size.
- You need 1/2 cup of walnuts.
- Prepare of baked in a 450g / 1lb cake tin.
However, if you don't have access to vegan cream cheese then you can make your own or use whipped coconut cream. What makes this cake healthier than the rest is the use of olive. Simple to make, insanely moist and flavorful, and undetectably vegan and gluten-free! The recipe is adapted from my Vegan GF Carrot Apple Muffins, but it needed some tweaking to get that cake-like texture.
Carrot and walnut cake (vegan) instructions
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line the tin with baking paper..
- In a bowl mix the oil, sugar and apple sauce..
- In a different bowl, mix all the dry ingredients except for the walnuts and carrots..
- Make a little dip in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the oil mixture in. Stir until all mixed together..
- Add the walnuts and carrots and mix again..
- Pour the mix into the tin and bake for about 1 hr 15mins… Test if it’s ready by putting a skewer into the middle, when it comes out clean… the cake is done..
- Once baked, let it cool in the tin for 10-15 mins then turn it out onto a cooling rack. And it’s ready to eat! Enjoy 😋.
This homemade vegan carrot cake recipe is unbelievably soft, moist, and completely delicious! If desired, you can add raisins, pineapple, or crushed walnuts to the batter. You'll want to make the recipe not just for Easter, but for birthday parties, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas too! This moist, perfectly spiced vegan carrot cake recipe is SO delicious and easy to make! Top it with vegan cream cheese frosting or enjoy it on its own.