Indian style okra (Vegan). Bhindi Masala – Indian style okra stir fry cooked with onion, tomatoes and spices! Okra or bhindi as it's called in Hindi is a very popular vegetable in India. I think after paneer (which though is not a vegetable but most definitely treated like one in India), bhindi must be everyone's favorite veggies.
Okra is cooked in many ways in Indian cuisine. It usually is a veggie side served as a part of a meal, served with dals and curries. It can be served as simple side cooked with just onions, or cooked in a sauces like sesame. You can have Indian style okra (Vegan) using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indian style okra (Vegan)
- Prepare 400 gms of okra.
- You need 1 of red onion.
- You need 1 spoonful of gram flour.
- You need of Salt as per taste.
- You need of Oil to fry okra.
- Prepare of Mustard powder – half teaspoon.
- Prepare of Red chilly powder – 1/4 teaspoon (optional).
- Prepare of Cumin seeds – half teaspoon.
- It’s of Dry mango powder – 1 teaspoon (optional).
Reviews for: Photos of Indian-Style Sauteed Okra. Indian-Style Sauteed Okra. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Okra pods (fresh, not frozen) Vegetable oil Cumin seeds Onions Ginger Garlic Green chili peppers like serrano or jalapeno Click here for a collection of Indian vegan restaurant style recipes. Bhindi Masala is a popular Indian restaurant dish of tender okra in a deliciously spiced tomato-onion sauce.
Indian style okra (Vegan) step by step
- Cut okra in four long pieces. Add gram flour, salt, mustard, chilly powder, dry mango powder to it. Give it a good mix..
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Put okra in it in small batches. I fried 400 gms of okra in 3 batches. Take it out when it turns golden brown..
- Cut red onion in long thin slices..
- Heat the leftover oil from frying, add cumin seeds in it. Put onions when the seeds start popping. As the onions turn golden brown and soft, add the fried okra in it and toss it nicely. Turn the heat off..
- Serve with chapati, lentils or raita. It tastes delicious and is especially a hit amongst kids..
Okra flavored with garlic and spiced with Indian spices. This is a very easy and spicy okra recipe and won't take much of your time. As far as bhindi or okra is concerned, I am always open to new recipes. This lahsuni bhindi is an example of such a recipe. Here, okra transforms into a delicious chewy vegetable, spiced simply with Indian flavors for maximum deliciousness.