Indian style okra (Vegan). Okra is cooked in many ways in Indian cuisine. It usually is a veggie side served as a part of a meal, served with dals and curries. Fry the okra in little oil before adding it to the curry/masala.
Bhindi masala is a very popular vegan and gluten-free Indian okra recipe made by cooking okra with tomatoes, onions, and a few basic spices. Bhindi masala is a very popular and delicious vegan Indian recipe made with okra, tomatoes, onions, and a few basic spices. Like most of the Indians, Okra is one of my favorite vegetables. You can have Indian style okra (Vegan) using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indian style okra (Vegan)
- It’s 400 gms of okra.
- It’s 1 of red onion.
- It’s 1 spoonful of gram flour.
- You need of Salt as per taste.
- It’s of Oil to fry okra.
- Prepare of Mustard powder – half teaspoon.
- Prepare of Red chilly powder – 1/4 teaspoon (optional).
- Prepare of Cumin seeds – half teaspoon.
- It’s of Dry mango powder – 1 teaspoon (optional).
Instead I prefer the kind of okra recipe my dad would cook, a dry okra subzi (which is the Sindhi word for vegetable dish). Here, okra transforms into a delicious chewy vegetable, spiced simply with Indian flavors for maximum deliciousness. The way my dad cooks it uses little to no oil, low amounts of heat, and lots of patience. Indian style vegan okra stir fry with onions, tomatoes and spices!
Indian style okra (Vegan) instructions
- Cut okra in four long pieces. Add gram flour, salt, mustard, chilly powder, dry mango powder to it. Give it a good mix..
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Put okra in it in small batches. I fried 400 gms of okra in 3 batches. Take it out when it turns golden brown..
- Cut red onion in long thin slices..
- Heat the leftover oil from frying, add cumin seeds in it. Put onions when the seeds start popping. As the onions turn golden brown and soft, add the fried okra in it and toss it nicely. Turn the heat off..
- Serve with chapati, lentils or raita. It tastes delicious and is especially a hit amongst kids..
This version uses no oil, and yet has an amazing aroma and flavour. Keyword: vegan, gluten free, whole food plant-based, oil-free. Home » Recipes » Bhindi Recipes. Bhindi also known as Okra or Lady finger is cooked in different ways in India, depending on the region or part of India. Imagine enjoying crispy fried okra coated with chickpea flour and infused with Indian spices.