Tunisian couscous-my way (Vegan). Tunisian couscous-my way (Vegan) Any veggie that you happen to have in the fridge can be used :D. See great recipes for Tunisian couscous-my way (Vegan) too! A delicious Tunisian-inspired Tagine (with your choice of Chicken or chickpeas) Carrots, Cous Cous and flavorful Green Harissa Sauce.
Add tomatoe puree, spices and harissa and coat the onions in the spicey mixture and add the chicken pieces and stir to cover chicken and cook for a further two minutes beiung careful not too burn the spice mixture. Couscous is a staple in most Maghreb cuisines. It is known as the national dish in Tunisia, but also in Algeria and Morocco, as well as Mauritania and Libya. You can cook Tunisian couscous-my way (Vegan) using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tunisian couscous-my way (Vegan)
- Prepare 1 of + 2 yellow onions.
- Prepare 1 of veggie soup square.
- You need 100 g of couscous.
- You need 100 g of fresh spinach or other leafy greens.
- Prepare 70 g of golden raisins.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of tunisian spice mix.
- Prepare 4 of yellow peppers.
- It’s 2 of fresh tomatoes.
- You need 6 tbsp of tomatoe puree.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It’s of Oregano to tast.
- It’s 1 of eggplant.
- Prepare 4 of carrots.
- It’s 3 of potatoes.
- You need 6 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of sunflower oil.
Tunisian couscous is one of the countless variations of this delicious and versatile dish. It is thought that the original name of couscous (Arabic: كسكس) could have come from the Arabic word kaskasa, which means 'to pound in small. Remove from the oven whilst hot and cut into squares leaving in the dish until slightly cooled and then serve with a green salad for lunch or on its own as a starter or with crusty bread and Tunisian Grilled Salad. See great recipes for Sauteed Leafy Veges, Chicken leafy vege soup too!
Tunisian couscous-my way (Vegan) step by step
- Peel the onions and cut one of them in little squares. Start frying this onion on the sunflower oil and when it starts to get transparent add the spinach ot other leafy greens and add the tomatoe puree. Cook until the spinach becomes soft. Then add 4 cups of water..
- Add the tunisian spice mix, add the peeled veggies: cut the potatoes into big squares, cut the carrots into 4 pieces, cut the eggplant in big squares, cut the tomatoe in big squares too..
- Also add those onions that we left in one piece at the beginning. Also add the soup square and the yellow peppers cut into slices.Add the oregano and salt to taste..
- Next take the "upper part" of the couscous cooking pot and add the couscous, pour a mugful of hot water on it and add the olive oil. Stir to combine..
- Also stir the veggies in the down part of pot also. Put the top part on top of down part and steam the couscous till soft..
- Stir both parts of pot from time to time and add more hot water to couscous if it seems dry..
- Serve the veggie sauce on top of couscous and also add raisins on top. Let me know if you tried this recipe..
Tunisian Couscous is their version of a stew, it is traditionally made in a couscoussier. The meat and veg are cooked in the bottom pot with all the spices and the couscous is steamed on top. I do not have couscoussier, I probably won't ever, so I used a large stock pot and cooked my couscous in a separate pot. The amazing thing about couscous is how fast it 'cooks' and how versatile it is. This is one of those recipes that should give you lots of ideas to create your own combinations.