Vegan Sourdough Challah.
You can cook Vegan Sourdough Challah using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegan Sourdough Challah
- Prepare 500 g of flour.
- It’s 250 ml of water.
- You need 25 g of sourdough starter.
- Prepare 5 g of salt (roughly 1tsp).
- It’s 50 g of sunflower/coconut/canola oil.
- You need 50 g of agave syrup (or honey).
- It’s 80 g of aquafaba/chickpea water.
Vegan Sourdough Challah step by step
- The night before, start the dough. Dissolve starter in water then add flour. Knead a bit. Add salt. The dough will be quite dry. (It's going to get wetter tomorrow when you add the other ingredients). Rub dough with oil, wrap in clingfilm and leave overnight at room temperature..
- In the morning, add the chickpea juice, the honey and the oil. If this makes the dough too wet, add a bit more flour. You are aiming for the dough to be *slightly* wet/sticky. Cover with the clingfilm and leave to prove for 4 hours (but do a round of folds every hour).
- Cut the dough into 6 equal portions (or 5, 4, 3 etc). You'll probably want to use scales to weigh make sure the portions are the same weight. Form each portion into a ball, cover and leave to rest for 20mins..
- Roll each of the balls into a sausage shape. Braid the sausages together. Me describing the process here will not help you – search for challah braiding videos on YouTube. Put the braided loaf on a baking tray and cover with clingfilm. Prove for 3 hours at room temperature or until it has doubled in size..
- Heat oven to 180C with a tray of water in the bottom. Brush outside of challah with chickpea water. Sprinkle with seeds if desired. Bake for 45 mins (my dough weighed 1030g)..