Chana dal barfi(Vegan version). Chana Dal Burfi is a sweet Indian fudge-like sweet made with lentils and nuts and flavored with a hint of cardamom. A low fat, gluten-free (don't add asafoetida) and vegan dish. Chana dal is high in fiber, a rich The chana dal is best served with steamed basmati rice or jeera rice and a side raita, kachumber (salad) or a vegetable dish.
A dash of desi spices gives the Chana Dal Barfi a fabulous flavour that none can resist. Roasting the chana dal mixture well gives the barfi and awesome aroma, while using hot milk reduces the amount of ghee required. Drain the water and keep the soaked dal aside until needed again. You can have Chana dal barfi(Vegan version) using 8 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chana dal barfi(Vegan version)
- It’s 1 cup of Chana dal/split bengal gram.
- You need 2 cups of Coconut milk.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Cashew nuts.
- Prepare 1 cup of dessicated Coconut/fresh grated Coconut.
- It’s 1/4 th cup of Vanaspati ghee/Coconut oil+ more to grease the mould.
- Prepare 1/4 th cup of crushed assorted Nuts+ some more to garnish.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Cardamom powder.
- It’s Some of dry Rose patels to garnish (optional).
In a mixer jar add the soaked chana dal and grind it into a paste. Keep the paste aside until needed again. Put a deep-bottomed pan on low flame and heat ghee in it. Then add the prepared chana dal paste in it.
Chana dal barfi(Vegan version) instructions
- Clean and soak chana dal for about 4 hours or overnight..
- Soak 1/2 cup of cashew nuts with water for 1/2 an hour..
- With a grinder, make a smooth paste of cashew with 2 tablespoons of water..
- Drain the soaked dal and place in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of coconut milk..
- Pressure cook the dal for 2-3 whistles or until dal becomes very soft..
- Let the mixture cools a bit and then grind to a smooth paste..
- Heat 1/4th cup of vanaspati ghee in a heavy bottomed saucepan. You can also use coconut oil instead of vanaspati. I use vanaspati as it has the flavour close to desi ghee..
- Add in the lentil/chana dal paste and start frying in medium heat by stirring regularly..
- When the mixture becomes hot enough after cooking 6-8 minutes, add in 3/4th cup of sugar..
- Continue to cook for about 30 minutes or until the mixture start leaving from the pan. Keep flame in medium low heat during frying process to get better flavour and texture..
- Next add in 1 cup of dessicated or fresh grated coconut, 1/4th cup of crushed nuts of your choice, cashew paste and 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder..
- Stir well to mix everything to the lentil mixture.Continue to fry for more 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture turns into a homogeneous mass and start accumulating into a lump..
- Remove from heat and grease rectangular mould or a dish..
- Transfer the mixture (hot) to the greased mould..
- Spread uniformly with a spatula and sprinkle some crushed nuts..
- Keep aside to cool down completely and then cut in your desired size. I served them in some cup cake liners..
- They are as tasty and flavourful as the traditional chana dal barfi or fudge. I garnished with some dry rose Patel's which is completely optional..
Channa Dal Mawa Barfi (split Bengal Gram And Mawa Dessert) My Mother always prefers using grounded Channa dal in any preparation than readymade Besan (Gram flour) and we all love whatever she cooks! Here is my mothers' special recipe of channa dal barfi, where she adds mawa for a soft and melt in mouth experience. Chana dal is baby chickpeas that has been split and polished. It is one of the most popular ingredients in Indian cuisine. Chana dal is delicious, nutritious, healthy and easily digested.