Sig's Spinach and Bean Duo.
You can have Sig's Spinach and Bean Duo using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sig's Spinach and Bean Duo
- Prepare 350 grams of drained weight, fresh, wilted chopped spinach or use 1 can spinach leaves drained weight about 300 -350 grams.
- Prepare 1 can of about 300 grams of beans of choice (butter beans, kidney, black or black eyed, cannellini, lima or use mixed beans).
- It’s 1 large of onion, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 pinch of ground nutmeg.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1/4 cup of water ,If needed only as the spinach should still be wet and give enough liquid to simmer.
- You need 1 tsp of flat leaf parsley, dried.
- It’s 1 pinch of smoked paprika.
- It’s 1 pinch of cayenne pepper.
- You need 1 pinch of turmeric.
- It’s 1 pinch of fenugreek.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt or salt substitute or to taste..
- It’s 1 packages of couscous, flavour of choice, that serves 2-3 people.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of dried, chopped mushrooms or sun dried tomato (optional).
Sig's Spinach and Bean Duo step by step
- In pan heat oil , saute your finely chopped onion until the slightly brown . Drain the spinach well , squeezing out the liquid gently. Add the spinach heat through but do not overcook it will lose vitamins and the colour should still be a nice green.
- Rinse the beans in a sieve under cold water from tap , add to spinach.
- Slowly add the water if needed. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes depending on bean size and consistency that you prefer.
- Add the seasonings of pepper , paprika, turmeric, fenugreek, flat leaf parsley (better flavour ) and nutmeg.
- Add the salt towards the end as using it from start can prevent the beans to soften or serve salt at the table..
- Prepare the couscous according to package instructions or by making one yourself that you prefer . I use plain and I add dried mushrooms to mine or sun dried tomato.
- Serve the spinach and bean dish over the couscous or mix in well with the couscous.
- If you don't like couscous try serving this with rice or pasta.