You Tiao / Chinese Donut / Cakwe [Vegan-Friendly].
You can have You Tiao / Chinese Donut / Cakwe [Vegan-Friendly] using 7 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of You Tiao / Chinese Donut / Cakwe [Vegan-Friendly]
- Prepare 260 g (2 cups) of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 10 g (2 tsp) of baking powder.
- Prepare 1.25 g (1/4 tsp) of baking soda.
- It’s 3 g (1/2 tsp) of salt.
- Prepare 8 g (2 tsp) of granulated white sugar.
- You need 10 ml (2 tsp) of flavorless vegetable oil/cooking oil.
- It’s 150 ml (1/2 cup) of + 2 tbsp) water.
You Tiao / Chinese Donut / Cakwe [Vegan-Friendly] instructions
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then make a well in the center..
- Add oil and water into the center. Using a wooden spoon or chopstick, stir everything to combine thoroughly..
- Once the liquid is absorbed, start kneading with your hand for about 1 minute. The dough will be a little dry, but it should form a ball..
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover it with a plastic wrap or damp cloth. Let sit for 30 minutes..
- Knead the dough for another 5 minutes. Then coat the ball of dough with cooking oil so it does not dry out. Cover again and let sit at room temperature for 4 hours or in the fridge overnight..
- If you stored it overnight, leave it out on the counter for 1-2 hours until it gets to room temperature. Then transfer it onto a lightly floured surface..
- Flour your hands and the dough if it feels sticky. Divide the dough into two equal pieces. Then roll each to a long log..
- With a rolling pin, flatten each log into a rectangle of about ¼-inch thick..
- With a knife or bench scraper, cut them into ¾-inch wide strips..
- Preheat enough cooking oil in a pot or deep skillet to 400°F or 200°C..
- Place one identical dough strip over another. Lightly flour them if sticky. Then use a wooden skewer or thin chopstick to press down the middle lengthwise. With one good press, it should be to make an indentation on both sides of the dough..
- When the oil is ready, gently pull the two ends of each piece to stretch it to about 4 times its original length. Place in the oil and start turning it around with tongs or a chopstick after 3 seconds. This constant turning will allow the dough to puff easily and evenly. Fry until it is golden brown..
- Repeat with the rest and remember to cover any uncooked dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap so it does not dry out..