Tex's New York Style Pizza Sauce 🍕. Most often, New York-style pizza is hand-tossed, then covered in a light layer of tomato sauce and dry, grated, full-fat mozzarella cheese with additional toppings on top of the cheese. The city's signature massive round pizzas that are sold by the slice typically use this style of sauce, which is made with herbs, garlic and a little bit of sugar. This flavor-packed sauce pairs so well with the generous toppings on those extra-large slices.
The overnight dough is easy to make—and stretch!—and the sigh-inducingly thin, crisp crust, perfectly simple tomato sauce and modest smattering of mozzarella cheese meld to create far more than the sum of its parts. Homemade pizza sauce is far superior to the jarred stuff. It's fresher, far tastier, and much easier to make than you'd expect. You can cook Tex's New York Style Pizza Sauce 🍕 using 9 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tex's New York Style Pizza Sauce 🍕
- You need 400 grams of tin of chopped plum tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar (optional).
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of garlic powder or granules.
- Prepare 2 tsp of oregano.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of sugar.
- You need 1 pinch of dried red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 2 tsp of sea or kosher salt.
- You need 1 tsp of ground black pepper.
With only eight ingredients and a no-cook prep, this classic New York-style pizza sauce is truly perfect for a quick and easy dinner kind of night. Making pizza sauce from scratch is the fastest way to bring your own kitchen to Italian bistro status. Since the sauce isn't cooked it needs to be exposed while the pizza is cooking. This allows some of the moisture to evaporate while still maintaining a bright tomato flavor and crispy crust.
Tex's New York Style Pizza Sauce 🍕 instructions
- Combine all the ingredients and pulse blend until well mixed but still a little lumpy from the chopped tomatoes. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to mix..
- Use about 1-1½ cups per 12" pizza depending on preference. Remember, sauce will thicken in the oven so don't worry if it seems to be a little on the thin side. After using on your pizza(s), freeze the rest in individual sandwich bags..
New York style pizza holds a special place in the hearts of millions. It's that classic pizza by the slice with all its cheesy goodness and glorious. Want to know the secret to New York-style pizza? A classic New York slice is as much a work of pizza art as are the finest pies of Italy. This recipe recreates the flavor of the tomato sauce on New York City's pizza perfectly.