Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup.
You can have Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup
- It’s 1 cup of dried split peas.
- You need 1/2 cup of green lentils.
- You need 1/2 cup of yellow lentils.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of barley.
- You need 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2 medium of onions.
- You need 4 clove of garlic.
- You need 5 medium of carrots.
- You need 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup step by step
- If possible, do this step ahead. If not, start here and disregard the times mentioned in this step: Rinse peas and lentils well and leave in water (together in one bowl) to soak for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. Prepare barley similarly and soak separately for 30 minutes..
- Place large (8L) pressure cooker or 5L pot on med-high heat. When pot is warm, add olive oil. Meanwhile coarsely chop onion and add to pot after olive oil. Saute for 5-8 minutes till clear. While onions cook, peel carrots and slice into 1/4 inch "pennies"..
- Chop garlic and add to onion. Saute till fragrant..
- Drain peas and lentils and add to pot. Mix well and let cook together until very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes..
- For pressure cooker: Add carrots to pot. Rinse barley, add to pot and cook together for 1-2 minutes. Add 3L water (or double the height of the peas). In any case do not exceed pot limit. Season, cover and cook at med-high heat for 40 minutes (after achieving pressure). Turn off heat, leave pot closed for another 30 minutes..
- For regular pot: Add carrots to pot and cook for two minutes. Add water till three times the height of the peas, or about 1.5 inches from pot rim. Season, bring to a boil and cook for 3 hours. Rinse barley, add to pot and continue to cook another 35 mins – 1 hour..
- Best enjoyed after resting overnight or at least 2 hours..