Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry -Vegan. Sweet potatoes during the holidays are a must in our household. This time I decided to do something different other than a casserole or a pie. I used white sweet potatoes, but any sweet potatoes will do.
The sweet potato or sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas) is a dicotyledonous plant that belongs to the bindweed or morning glory family, Convolvulaceae. Its large, starchy, sweet-tasting, tuberous roots are a root vegetable. The young leaves and shoots are sometimes eaten as greens. You can cook Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry -Vegan using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry -Vegan
- You need 1 of Glug oil.
- You need 1 tbsp of Cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Turmeric.
- Prepare 1 pinch of Garam Masala.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Chilli Flakes (depending on heat of curry).
- Prepare 1 of Large Onion chopped.
- Prepare 50 g of Root ginger.
- It’s 750 g of Sweet Potato.
- Prepare 2 tins of Chickpeas.
- You need 2 tins of Chopped Tomatoes.
- Prepare 2 cloves of Garlic.
The sweet potato is not closely related to the common potato (Solanum tuberosum).. Sweet potatoes are available year-round, but their flavor peaks in the fall and winter. Alton recommends choosing specimens that are heavy for their size and free of any soft spots or sprouts. Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry -Vegan step by step
- Heat the oil in the pan on a low heat and add the cumin seeds, garam masala & turmeric. Leave for a few mins and then add the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli flakes and increase to a medium heat for another 2 mins..
- Add chickpeas (drain and rinse), sweet potato chunks, tinned tomatoes and enough water to cover all the chickpeas and sweet potato..
- Cover and cook for approx half an hour on a medium- low heat, stirring occasionly and checking of more water is needed. Season when done..
- Boil rice whilst cooking dish and serve when potato chunks become soft (this will depend based on size of potato chunks)..
Baked sweet potatoes are the perfect, healthy side dish in the fall months. I like to simply eat it with some butter on top, a little goes a long way or try it with coconut oil to keep it dairy free. To save calories, omit all together and try sprinkling on cinnamon, cumin, chili powder or even pumpkin spice.. Sweet potato fries are also tasty, but don't eat them often. The sweet potato is a large, sweet-tasting root of the morning glory family. (Regular potatoes belong to the nightshade family).