Sig's Tomato and Lentil Soup. Add the tomatoes, chili pepper, lentils, cumin and basil to the pan along with the water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. For a special touch, put sour.
This thick Indian-spiced spin on tomato soup, great on its own, would pair well with grilled cheese, especially one made with a little chutney. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the broth, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are. You can have Sig's Tomato and Lentil Soup using 20 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sig's Tomato and Lentil Soup
- You need 5 of fresh spring onion, white and green finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 of to 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic.
- It’s 1 tsp of wild garlic salt (optional).
- Prepare 1 pinch of chili powder.
- You need 2 of cm piece peeled and chopped fresh ginger.
- You need 2 of good pinches of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 2 of good pinches of fenugreek.
- You need 1 pinch of coriander powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of garam masala.
- It’s 1 pinch of ground cumin.
- You need 2 of good pinches of turmeric.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of curry powder.
- It’s 250 grams of best plum tomatoes.
- It’s 250 grams of drained weight, canned lentils.
- Prepare 1 tsp of knorr aromat or other stock seasoning.
- You need of water.
- Prepare 3 slice of fairly thick cut of tomatoes for each person.
- It’s 2 pinch of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 2 pinch of of sparkling powder fine sugar for caramelising tomatoes.
- Prepare 8 of sprigs of fresh coriander.
Add the lentils, stock, tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste and bay leaf. Meanwhile, to make the coriander yoghurt, stir the chopped fresh coriander. Stir in tomatoes and season with cumin and chili. Meanwhile, rinse cilantro, shake dry, pluck leaves and chop finely with a large knife.
Sig's Tomato and Lentil Soup step by step
- For this recipe you can either use dried and soaked lentils or canned lentils. I use puy lentils or green lentils , but you can use red if you prefer . You can also use canned plum tomatoes or fresh cherry tomatoes. If using fresh tomatoes do not remove the seeds as you will lose some of the health benefits , they will be pureed anyway..
- If you are using canned lentils rinse them well under cold water and drain.
- Add all ingredients except the sliced tomatoes , cinnamon and sugar into a saucepan, slightly heat the contents in the pan, then puree into a very smooth soup, thickness to your liking.. Heat until cooked through and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir frequent to prevent setting onto the bottom of the pan..
- Sprinkle the tomato slices from both sides with the sugar and dry fry in a hot pan until they slightly char and caramelise.
- Serve soup in bowls with the tomato slices sprinkle with cinnamon , add a few sprigs of fresh coriander.
Garnish lentil soup with cilantro and serve. A creamy, curried soup from Yotam Ottolenghi that you can make on a weeknight, no sweat. Adjust the curry powder depending on how much heat you want. Add the lentils, stock, tomatoes with their juice, tomato purée and bay leaf. Meanwhile, stir the coriander into the yoghurt for the garnish.