Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup. This is a simple vegan, gluten-free recipe for pureed split pea and lentil soup, made with split peas, brown or green lentils, carrots, celery, and herbs. Add the split peas, lentils, and water. Vegan Split Pea Soup is a hearty mix of green split peas, carrots, celery, onion and green cabbage simmered with flavorful herbs – it's my all-time favorite Thick and hearty, this vegan split pea soup is filled with the usual mirepoix and medley of spices, plus added cabbage for extra heftiness and flavor.
This our amazon affiliate link to. Ultra creamy vegan split pea soup. This richly flavored soup is hearty and satisfying and makes a delicious plant-based appetizer or main. You can have Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup
- It’s 1 cup of dried split peas.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of green lentils.
- You need 1/2 cup of yellow lentils.
- It’s 2/3 cup of barley.
- It’s 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 2 medium of onions.
- Prepare 4 clove of garlic.
- It’s 5 medium of carrots.
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
And basically – from what I could find out – there isn't any major difference between yellow split peas and green split peas so you can use either/or and the. Split peas and barley are cooked with garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in this meatless soup which is seasoned with basil and thyme. This makes a very thick vegetarian split pea soup. To make it thinner, reduce the amount of split peas or add more water.
Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup step by step
- If possible, do this step ahead. If not, start here and disregard the times mentioned in this step: Rinse peas and lentils well and leave in water (together in one bowl) to soak for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. Prepare barley similarly and soak separately for 30 minutes..
- Place large (8L) pressure cooker or 5L pot on med-high heat. When pot is warm, add olive oil. Meanwhile coarsely chop onion and add to pot after olive oil. Saute for 5-8 minutes till clear. While onions cook, peel carrots and slice into 1/4 inch "pennies"..
- Chop garlic and add to onion. Saute till fragrant..
- Drain peas and lentils and add to pot. Mix well and let cook together until very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes..
- For pressure cooker: Add carrots to pot. Rinse barley, add to pot and cook together for 1-2 minutes. Add 3L water (or double the height of the peas). In any case do not exceed pot limit. Season, cover and cook at med-high heat for 40 minutes (after achieving pressure). Turn off heat, leave pot closed for another 30 minutes..
- For regular pot: Add carrots to pot and cook for two minutes. Add water till three times the height of the peas, or about 1.5 inches from pot rim. Season, bring to a boil and cook for 3 hours. Rinse barley, add to pot and continue to cook another 35 mins – 1 hour..
- Best enjoyed after resting overnight or at least 2 hours..
If you haven't tried my Instant Pot Lentil Soup and my Instant Pot Rice and Peas, these recipes are a must-try, I have been getting great feedback. Hearty vegan split pea soup chock full of nutritious ingredients for a comforting but healthy dinner. The slightly smokey flavor is mouth watering! As a kid, my only experience with split pea soup was the canned stuff. Let's not talk about it anymore.