Quinoa Payasam with Chana Dal. This chana dal payasam also known as Kadalai paruppu payasam is a delicious payasam variety made with coconut milk, chana dal, jaggery and cardamom powder. Serve chana dal payasam hot or warm or chilled. left over payasam can be refrigerated once it comes to room temperature. chana dal payasam recipe, kadle bele, kadalai paruppu, senaga pappu payasam with step by step photo/video. dessert with chickpea dal, jaggery, coconut milk. it can be made with different types of lentil's but the most popular one across all state is the chana dal payasam recipe for its rich taste. Payasam is a popular sweet dish that is generally eaten after all meals. it is filled with cashews and and channa dal that make this dish a lot more desirable.
This paruppu payasam is so tasty amd quick to make. Onam is fast approaching and I wanted to post a payasam recipe so made this quick payasam few days back. As I have already posted moong dal. You can have Quinoa Payasam with Chana Dal using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Quinoa Payasam with Chana Dal
- It’s 1/2 cup of quinoa, washed, drained and soaked for 5 minutes.
- You need 1/2 cup of chana dal/split Bengal gram dal, washed and drained.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup to ¾ cup of powdered jaggery (or to taste).
- Prepare 8-10 of green cardamoms, powdered.
- It’s 2 tbsp of oil/ghee.
- Prepare 2-3 tablespoons of sliced or chopped almonds (you could use cashew too).
- It’s 2 tablespoons of raisins.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of oil (or ghee if not vegan).
Simple and easy payasam with kadalai paruppu/ chana dal and jaggery. I had this once in a restaurant and wanted to try it out at home. But Vj is not a fan of chana dal. Made little sago payasam for Vj too.
Quinoa Payasam with Chana Dal step by step
- Wash quinoa in plenty of water, rubbing it thoroughly to remove the natural coating called “saponin” which can make any dish bitter. Soak for about 5 minutes, drain and keep aside..
- Wash and drain chana dal. Set aside..
- Grate or powder jaggery or use store bought powdered jaggery. If you feel jaggery has impurities (which some have), melt with a little water, strain to remove impurities and then use. Powder cardamom seeds until a coarse powder. Fry almonds and raisins in oil/ghee until light golden. Remove and set aside..
- Heat a pressure cooker on medium heat and roast quinoa and chana dal in a little oil/ghee, stirring often until you get a lovely aroma of the chana dal; about 1 to 2 minutes..
- Add 1 ½ cups water and ½ cup coconut milk, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles on medium high..
- Once the pressure drops, add powdered jaggery (start with ½ cup) and mix well. Stir in 1 cup of coconut milk and give it a good mix. Bring to a boil and add more jaggery if needed..
- Adjust thickness by adding more water or coconut milk. Stir in freshly ground cardamom powder. Simmer on medium low for 5 minutes..
- Garnish with fried nuts and raisins and serve hot or even chilled!.
- Transfer rich, thick, scrumptious, and divine tasting quinoa payasam with chana dal to serving bowls and and serve hot or even chilled! Enjoy and Happy Eating!.
- You can adjust them amount of ingredients according to taste. We love chana dal in our payasams, but you could omit it if you like. Payasam thickens as it cool, so add water or coconut accordingly just before serving. Just mix, heat a bit and serve..
Very simple and easy method and preparation, if you are a fan of chana dal, you should try this. Add milk, sago and cook till the sago and dal are fully cooked. Any kind of payasam with any kind of ingredients will always lift me up. That much of liking I have for payasam. Ingredients for Kadala Payasam (Chanadal Kheer) Recipe.