Chana dal barfi(Vegan version). Chana Dal Burfi is a popular Indian sweet made with lentils, nuts, sugar, and a hint of cardamom. I have for you today a very vegan version of this sorta-fudge delicacy, and — like with the many Indian vegan desserts and sweets I've shared with you over the years. This Chana Dal Fry is an easy and tasty chana dal recipe that you will like.
Chana Dal and split peas can be notorious about cooking times. Chana Dal are brown chickpeas that have been split and skinned/polished. They have the same earthy nutty flavor profile as brown chickpeas(which are also called bengal gram, Kala chana in Hindi). You can cook Chana dal barfi(Vegan version) using 8 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chana dal barfi(Vegan version)
- You need 1 cup of Chana dal/split bengal gram.
- It’s 2 cups of Coconut milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of Cashew nuts.
- You need 1 cup of dessicated Coconut/fresh grated Coconut.
- It’s 1/4 th cup of Vanaspati ghee/Coconut oil+ more to grease the mould.
- You need 1/4 th cup of crushed assorted Nuts+ some more to garnish.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Cardamom powder.
- Prepare Some of dry Rose patels to garnish (optional).
You can use split yellow peas or split pigeon peas to make this. Chana Dal Burfi Recipe – Check out the simple steps on how to make Chana Dal Burfi with Milkmaid. Cook up this homemade Chana Dal Burfi for quick surprise for your loved ones. This delicious Indian barfi is made from Bengal gram, Nestlé Everyday Shahi Ghee, and desiccated coconut.
Chana dal barfi(Vegan version) step by step
- Clean and soak chana dal for about 4 hours or overnight..
- Soak 1/2 cup of cashew nuts with water for 1/2 an hour..
- With a grinder, make a smooth paste of cashew with 2 tablespoons of water..
- Drain the soaked dal and place in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of coconut milk..
- Pressure cook the dal for 2-3 whistles or until dal becomes very soft..
- Let the mixture cools a bit and then grind to a smooth paste..
- Heat 1/4th cup of vanaspati ghee in a heavy bottomed saucepan. You can also use coconut oil instead of vanaspati. I use vanaspati as it has the flavour close to desi ghee..
- Add in the lentil/chana dal paste and start frying in medium heat by stirring regularly..
- When the mixture becomes hot enough after cooking 6-8 minutes, add in 3/4th cup of sugar..
- Continue to cook for about 30 minutes or until the mixture start leaving from the pan. Keep flame in medium low heat during frying process to get better flavour and texture..
- Next add in 1 cup of dessicated or fresh grated coconut, 1/4th cup of crushed nuts of your choice, cashew paste and 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder..
- Stir well to mix everything to the lentil mixture.Continue to fry for more 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture turns into a homogeneous mass and start accumulating into a lump..
- Remove from heat and grease rectangular mould or a dish..
- Transfer the mixture (hot) to the greased mould..
- Spread uniformly with a spatula and sprinkle some crushed nuts..
- Keep aside to cool down completely and then cut in your desired size. I served them in some cup cake liners..
- They are as tasty and flavourful as the traditional chana dal barfi or fudge. I garnished with some dry rose Patel's which is completely optional..
Roasting the chana dal mixture well gives the barfi and awesome aroma, while using hot milk reduces the amount of ghee required. Soaked and ground chana dal flour, roasted patiently in ghee, is cooked into a delicious barfi with hot milk and minimum amount of ghee and sugar. It can be used to prepare a low fat, gluten-free meal that also happens to be a vegan meal. Consuming this dal with a small portion of rice or Indian. Chana dal is one of my favorite dal specially on the day I am not in mood to cook a elaborated meal because with this chana dal a simple salad or even onion chunks or pickle goes perfectly plus this dal goes well with roti or rice.