Vickys Sweet & Sour Sauce.
You can have Vickys Sweet & Sour Sauce using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vickys Sweet & Sour Sauce
- You need 1 of spray oil.
- It’s 1 of shallot, finely chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of (as heaping as possible) cornflour / corn starch.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of rice vinegar.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of tomato ketchup.
- It’s 3 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- It’s 1 tsp of tomato paste / puree.
- It’s 170 ml of pineapple juice.
- You need 1 small of tin of pineapple chunks.
Vickys Sweet & Sour Sauce instructions
- Gently cook off the shallot until softened.
- Mix the cornflour and vinegar together in a bowl to make a slurry.
- Add in the ketchup, sugar, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, tomato paste and pineapple juice into the bowl and whisk together.
- Pour into the pan with the shallots. The liquid will look cloudy.
- Bring to the boil for 2 minutes until the mixture has turned a lovely red and thickened up.
- Stir through the pineapple chunks and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Adjust to taste, adding more vinegar or sugar as required.
- My mother used to add half a chopped green bell pepper and cooked it before adding the shallot to the pan.