Vickys Homemade Fruity Brown HP Sauce.
You can cook Vickys Homemade Fruity Brown HP Sauce using 18 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vickys Homemade Fruity Brown HP Sauce
- It’s 240 ml of water.
- You need 240 ml of vinegar (true HP sauce uses malt vinegar, I use white so it's gluten-free).
- It’s 120 ml of tomato puree/paste.
- It’s 180 ml of light molasses/treacle or maple syrup.
- It’s 60 ml of orange juice concentrate (diluting juice).
- Prepare 10 of pitted dates, finely chopped.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of blackstrap molasses / dark treacle.
- You need 3 tbsp of apple juice.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of tamarind paste.
- You need 180 ml of apple cider vinegar.
- It’s 1 of inch of cinnamon stick.
- You need 1/2 tsp of whole cloves.
- You need 1/2 tsp of whole black peppercorns.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of onion powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cardamom.
- You need 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sea salt.
Vickys Homemade Fruity Brown HP Sauce step by step
- In a large pan over a medium heat, stir together the water, white vinegar, tomato paste, syrup, orange juice concentrate, dates, molasses, apple juice and tamarind. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer and let simmer covered for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Grind together the cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorns and mustard seed using a pestle and mortar or a spice/coffee grinder. Mix with the other spices.
- Use an immersion/stick blender to puree the mixture in the pan. Add the ground spice mixture, stir to blend and let simmer, covered, for another 30 – 45 minutes.
- Add the cider vinegar to the pan, stir to blend and again return to a simmer. Once it starts to simmer remove the pan from the heat and strain the hot mixture through a sieve into a clean pot. Keep the liquid, discard the pulp. Rinse the original pot and sieve the mixture back into original pot, return to heat and simmer until thick.
- Ladle the hot sauce mixture into hot, sterilized jars or bottles and seal. Allow to cool. Keeps indefinitely in cupboard but keep in the fridge after opening.
- Makes 500mls / 2 cups.