Tex's Small Batch Sauerkraut.
You can cook Tex's Small Batch Sauerkraut using 5 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tex's Small Batch Sauerkraut
- It’s 1 medium of white or red cabbage.
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of kosher or sea salt.
- You need 2 tsp of caraway seeds (optional).
- You need 1 1/2 liter of (or larger) Kilner or clip lid jar.
- You need 50 of marbles in a sandwich bag.
Tex's Small Batch Sauerkraut instructions
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and slice crossways.
- Tear ⅓ of the slices into a bowl and sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt. Squeeze with your hands until the juice begins to come out of the cabbage forming a brine solution with the salt. After a few minutes there should be almost enough brine to cover. At this stage add another ⅓ and another tsp. of salt. Begin squeezing again. Finally, add the last ⅓, and the rest of the salt and massage again until the cabbage is almost submerged in the brine..
- Transfer to your jar, add the caraway seeds if using, and tamp down with the end of a rolling pin. When the cabbage is compressed and submerged place the sandwich bag filled with marbles to keep it from floating. Do not close the lid. Instead, place a clean tea towel over the neck of the jar and tie with string or an elastic band. This keeps bugs out but allows air to flow which is necessary in the fermentation process..
- Finally store in a cool, dark, place for 28 days. It's perfectly good to eat at any time, but I find 28 days is best. Check every 3 to 4 days, scraping away any mold, and tamping down again. The mold actually develops from the same kind of bacteria that exists in yoghurt, and is harmless. Some people don't like eating moldy food though..
- After 28 days put the lid on and refrigerate. If your brine stops covering your 'kraut, dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of water and top up..