Vickys Greek-Style Rice Moussaka, GF DF EF SF NF Vegan.
You can cook Vickys Greek-Style Rice Moussaka, GF DF EF SF NF Vegan using 21 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vickys Greek-Style Rice Moussaka, GF DF EF SF NF Vegan
- It’s 2 of medium aubergine / eggplant.
- It’s 1 of salt as required, you'll need a fair amount.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 100 grams of white mushrooms, finely sliced.
- Prepare 6 of spring onions / scallions, finely sliced.
- Prepare 2 clove of garlic, crushed.
- You need 2 tbsp of dry white wine.
- You need 400 grams of can of chopped tomatoes.
- Prepare 2 tsp of tomato puree / paste.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar.
- You need 2 tbsp of finely chopped fresh parsley.
- It’s 375 grams of cooked short-grain white rice.
- You need 2 tbsp of parmesan-style cheese, finely grated (I use vegan brand Veganic).
- It’s of Sauce.
- Prepare 60 grams of sunflower spread / butter.
- It’s 50 grams of corn starch / cornflour.
- It’s 320 ml of light coconut milk.
- It’s 120 ml of coconut cream.
- You need 2 tbsp of parmesan-style cheese, grated.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
Vickys Greek-Style Rice Moussaka, GF DF EF SF NF Vegan step by step
- Slice the aubergine into half cm thick rounds.
- Place in a colander or strainer, generously sprinkle with salt and let stand for 30 minutes so the salt draws out the bitter moisture.
- Rinse the slices well under cold water then pat dry.
- Heat half of the oil in a pan and cook off the garlic, onion and mushrooms until softened.
- Add the wine and stir in, cooking until it has evaporated. Add the can of chopped tomatoes, puree, cinnamon, sugar and parsley.
- Simmer uncovered until slightly reduced then stir in the cooked rice and parmesan and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile drizzle the other half of the oil into a baking tray and rub each aubergine slice in it. Put under the grill / broiler until each side is lightly coloured.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4 / 180C / 350°F.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter over a medium heat and stir in the corn starch.
- Gradually add in the milk and cream, whisking continuously until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan.
- Grease a 2 litre casserole dish. Place 1/3 of the aubergine slices over the bottom.
- Spread 1/2 of the rice mixture on top.
- Repeat by layering 1/2 of the remaining aubergine slices, the rest of the rice mixture then top with the last of the aubergine.
- Pour the sauce on top and sprinkle with the nutmeg. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.