Spicy Indian Lentil Curry with Midnight Rice. Rinse the lentils until the water runs clear. Add in the garlic, ginger and chili peppers, sautéing. Great recipe for Spicy Indian Lentil Curry with Midnight Rice.
There will more lentil incorporated dishes in the days following 🙂 Stay tuned! Instructions For the Pickled Onions: In a small microwave-safe bowl mix the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. For the Red Lentil Curry: Chop the onions, carrots, garlic and grate the ginger. You can have Spicy Indian Lentil Curry with Midnight Rice using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spicy Indian Lentil Curry with Midnight Rice
- You need 2 Tbsps of coconut oil (30 ml).
- You need 3 cloves of garlic , minced (1 1/2 Tbsp or 9 g).
- It’s 1 tsp of ginger minced.
- You need 1/2 of onion diced.
- Prepare 3 Tbsps of (60 g) red curry paste (ensure vegan friendly).
- You need 1 6 – ounces (170 g) cans of tomatoes diced.
- You need 1 cup of water (240 ml).
- You need 1 of bouillon tbl.
- You need 2/3 cup of lentils water (128 g) dry , thoroughly rinsed in cold + drained.
- Prepare 1 – 2 Tbsps of sugar (12-24 g).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of turmeric ground , plus more to taste.
- It’s 1/2 cup of coconut milk (80 ml) light.
Once hot, add the onions, carrots, garlic,. Red lentil curry is an Indian-inspired recipe that's made with lentils, sweet potatoes, a creamy sauce and authentic Indian spices – it's hearty, spicy and vegan! We adapted the recipe slightly from Dibora's original to make is ergonomic for the American home kitchen, but stayed true to the flavors. You can feel free to make the red lentil curry as spicy as you'd like with cayenne.
Spicy Indian Lentil Curry with Midnight Rice instructions
- Rinse lentils in a fine mesh strainer and set aside. ** make sure there aren't any little rocks in your lentils!.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add coconut oil, garlic, onion and ginger. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring often..
- Add curry paste and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently..
- Add tomatoes, water and bouillon, and stir to combine. Then add lentils, sugar, turmeric, and stir..
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat slightly to low (or medium-low), and gently simmer for 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir frequently, and add more water as needed if the mixture becomes too thick..
- Stir in coconut milk for additional creaminess, and to balance the heat of the curry..
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more turmeric for depth of flavor, sugar for sweetness/flavor balance, or a pinch of salt for saltiness..
- Enjoy with Midnight rice, brown rice, or naan!.
The base of the recipe is garlic, ginger, carrots sautéed in coconut oil, and red curry paste. Tomato paste and vegetable broth make a deeply flavorful sauce, while turmeric and coconut sugar add depth of flavor. This spicy lentil preparation is made a mix of rajma or red kidney beans and whole black gram or sabut urad dal and a perfect blend of whole spices. The recipe does complete justice to the name and uses plenty of butter which balances out the heat from the spices and makes the final dal rich and creamy. Mix curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic, and ginger together in a large bowl; stir into the onions.