Quinoa Payasam with Chana Dal. QUINOA PAYASAM – the easiest Indian vegan dessert you can make with just coconut milk, jaggery and quinoa; instant pot and pressure cooker methods!. Make Madgane, a Chana Dal Payasam at home in simple steps. Food blogger Shruti Murdeshwar shows how to make this delicious Payasam.
Make sure the dal is just cooked and still holding its shape not completely mushy. Fry dry fruits( cashew nuts, raisins) in ghee and keep aside. This Chana Dal Payasam is popularly known as Chanya Dalichen Vorn in Mangalore. You can have Quinoa Payasam with Chana Dal using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Quinoa Payasam with Chana Dal
- It’s 1/2 cup of quinoa, washed, drained and soaked for 5 minutes.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chana dal/split Bengal gram dal, washed and drained.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk.
- You need 1/2 cup to ¾ cup of powdered jaggery (or to taste).
- It’s 8-10 of green cardamoms, powdered.
- It’s 2 tbsp of oil/ghee.
- Prepare 2-3 tablespoons of sliced or chopped almonds (you could use cashew too).
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of raisins.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of oil (or ghee if not vegan).
A Mangalorean traditional payasam made with chana dal, jaggery, and coconut m. chana dal payasam recipe senaga pappu payasam with detailed photo and video recipe. an extremely popular south indian dessert recipe made with chana dal, sabudana, jaggery and coconut milk. the recipe is known for its creamy and subtle sweetness taste due to coconut milk and jaggery combination. it is ideally made as part of the celebration feast. Chana dal kheer or Kadalebele payasam – One of the most commonly prepared payasam or kheer prepared in coastal Karnataka region for any festival or special occasions ! There are many ways of making Chana dal kheer.
Quinoa Payasam with Chana Dal step by step
- Wash quinoa in plenty of water, rubbing it thoroughly to remove the natural coating called “saponin” which can make any dish bitter. Soak for about 5 minutes, drain and keep aside..
- Wash and drain chana dal. Set aside..
- Grate or powder jaggery or use store bought powdered jaggery. If you feel jaggery has impurities (which some have), melt with a little water, strain to remove impurities and then use. Powder cardamom seeds until a coarse powder. Fry almonds and raisins in oil/ghee until light golden. Remove and set aside..
- Heat a pressure cooker on medium heat and roast quinoa and chana dal in a little oil/ghee, stirring often until you get a lovely aroma of the chana dal; about 1 to 2 minutes..
- Add 1 ½ cups water and ½ cup coconut milk, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles on medium high..
- Once the pressure drops, add powdered jaggery (start with ½ cup) and mix well. Stir in 1 cup of coconut milk and give it a good mix. Bring to a boil and add more jaggery if needed..
- Adjust thickness by adding more water or coconut milk. Stir in freshly ground cardamom powder. Simmer on medium low for 5 minutes..
- Garnish with fried nuts and raisins and serve hot or even chilled!.
- Transfer rich, thick, scrumptious, and divine tasting quinoa payasam with chana dal to serving bowls and and serve hot or even chilled! Enjoy and Happy Eating!.
- You can adjust them amount of ingredients according to taste. We love chana dal in our payasams, but you could omit it if you like. Payasam thickens as it cool, so add water or coconut accordingly just before serving. Just mix, heat a bit and serve..
The recipe that I have shared here is the one typically followed in the region of coastal Karnataka. Detailed description […] This chana dal payasam also known as Kadalai paruppu payasam is a delicious payasam variety made with coconut milk, chana dal, jaggery and cardamom powder. Chana dal payasam with step by step photos. Chana dal is known as kadalai paruppu in tamil. This paruppu payasam is so tasty amd quick to make.