Homemade Japanese steam buns. (Boa bun). Also known as kareeman, Japanese steamed curry buns are filled with vegetable mixture and curry-flavored mince. These buns resemble steamed pork buns, but for the steamed curry buns you can use any type of minced meat. In this recipe, we shall use pork mince, and you can also make the recipe vegetarian.
They are slightly chewy and VERY light almost "airy". The larger sized buns were much easier to work with and much tastier. Bao means Buns so calling it bao buns doesn't make sense but it is such a cute name! You can cook Homemade Japanese steam buns. (Boa bun) using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade Japanese steam buns. (Boa bun)
- It’s 1 kg of Bread dough.
- You need of Rice flour as needed for sifting.
- Prepare 30 gr of vegan margerine.
- It’s 10 ml of canola oil to rub buns.
- You need 250 ml of boiling water.
- It’s of For the Ostrich Filling.
- It’s 100 gr of Ostrich Goulash.
- You need 10 gr of fresh grated ginger.
- It’s 1 of Green Chilli chopped fine.
- It’s 2 gr of Fine Black Pepper.
- It’s 5 gr of Coarse Sea Salt.
- It’s 200 ml of Boiling Water.
- You need of Vegetable Filling.
- It’s of Julienne Carrots; Peppers; Red onion ; Spring onion; Tomato.
Bao is steamed buns and it can be many different shapes and it can be by itself or filled with sweet/savory filling. I shared mantou, my original steamed bun recipe a long ago. It's very similar but this recipe is upgrade version of the old one. Enjoy some of the best components of Asian cuisine all in one with these mouthwatering hirata buns.
Homemade Japanese steam buns. (Boa bun) step by step
- Slice vegetables for the filling.
- Poach the half moon shaped bread dough 50gr each in 100ml boiling water with vegan margarine for 20mins on low temperature.
- Then make a double steamer and steam the buns further 10mins till fluffy and risen..
- Let it cool to medium temperature. Then fill will ostrich and vegetables. Or just with vegetables for vegan option. Add a dressing of your favourite and squeeze of lime or lemon when serving..
Made from steamed buns stuffed with salad and delicious savoury fillings, hirata buns closely resemble sandwiches or tacos and have become a firm favourite in Japanese ramen stores. Serve these tasty treats as an appetiser or side dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the water, yeast and sugar until the yeast dissolves. Tasty, juicy filling with soft, fluffy wrappers, homemade bao buns are super comforting! Popular as street food and an everyday family dish in China, steamed bao buns (Baozi, 包子) is one of the foods I really enjoy cooking.