Vegan French Onion Soup. Vegan French onion soup is hearty and elegant, and surprisingly easy to make. This is my vegan twist on classic French onion soup, the main difference being that I use vegetable stock instead of beef stock. With just six ingredients and a little (hands-off) patience while the onions caramelize.
I will tell you later why I did it. This is so easy and delicious, I know it will. This Vegan French Onion Soup is comfort food at its finest. You can have Vegan French Onion Soup using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegan French Onion Soup
- You need 50 g of dairy free butter.
- It’s 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 kg of onions, halved and thinly sliced.
- You need 1-2 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of plain flour.
- It’s 250 ml of dry white wine.
- You need 1.5 l of hot vegetable stock.
- It’s 2 slices of toast, per serving.
- It’s 200 g of vegan cheese, grated.
Tender onions are simmered in a savory broth, topped with cheesy toast, and baked to This Vegan French Onion Soup is a sneak-peek recipe from my brand new cookbook, Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking. Be sure to check it out for. This easy vegan french onion soup is so luscious and rich with caramelized onions. I used to love the idea of french onion soup – but all those onions sent a chill up my spine.
Vegan French Onion Soup instructions
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onions and fry with the lid on for 10 mins until soft..
- Sprinkle in the sugar and cook for 20 mins more, stirring frequently, until caramelised. The onions should be really golden, full of flavour and soft when pinched between your fingers. Take care towards the end to ensure that they don’t burn..
- Add the garlic cloves for the final few minutes of the onions’ cooking time, then sprinkle in the plain flour and stir well..
- Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add the wine, followed by the vegetables stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins..
- Serve with vegan grated cheese and toast slices..
The broth is just so flavorful and delicious, the toasted baguette on top is just…well, it's bread. This vegan French onion soup is easy and tastes surprisingly fabulous, especially when finished with a slice of sourdough toast and hot broiled cheese. Rich, savory and totally delicious, this Vegan French Onion Soup is going to be your go-to comforting soup recipe. Vegan French onion soup that tastes like traditional French onion soup. Made with vegetable stock and vegan butter and mozzarella cheese.