Vegan Mapo Tofu.
You can have Vegan Mapo Tofu using 20 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegan Mapo Tofu
- You need of For the Sauce:.
- Prepare 3 tbsp. of Gochujang OR.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of each Fermented Bean Paste and Fermented Chili Paste.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of Mirin or other sweet cooking wine.
- It’s 2 tbsp. of Rice Wine Vinegar.
- You need 2 tbsp. of Soy sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Vegetable or other Stock.
- You need of For the Tofu:.
- You need 1 tbsp. of Coconut Oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of minced fresh Shiitake Mushrooms OR.
- You need 1/2 cup of dried Shiitake Mushrooms, rehydrated in hot water for 10 min. and rinsed.
- You need 1/2 cup of chopped Green Onions, white and green parts separated.
- You need 3-4 cloves of minced Garlic.
- It’s 1-2 tbsp. of minced Ginger.
- It’s 2-3 of dried Chili Peppers, any variety OR.
- You need 2-3 tbsp. of Red Pepper Flakes.
- You need 1 package of Firm or Extra Firm Tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of Corn Starch dissolved in 1-2 tbsp. water.
- You need 1/2 tbsp. of Sesame Oil (optional).
- It’s 1-2 tbsp. of Sesame or Caraway Seeds for garnish (optional).
Vegan Mapo Tofu step by step
- Bring 3-4 cups of water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Slide in the chopped tofu and simmer for 10 minutes..
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside..
- While the tofu cooks, sauté the garlic, ginger, and the whites of the onions over medium-high heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes)..
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and continue cooking until soft..
- Once the mushrooms are done, add the sauce mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer..
- Strain the poached tofu and gently fold it into the sauce..
- Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning..
- Gently stir in the corn starch and sesame oil, and cook until the sauce becomes thick and shiny (3-5 minutes)..
- Serve over white rice or plain greek yogurt..
- Granish with the green parts of the onions, and sesame or caraway seeds (optional)..